6 Reasons to Move Into Senior Living While You’re Still Healthy
Priorities tend to shift as we get older, and we start asking the questions that will shape the next chapter in life, such as: Where will I live in retirement? How will I spend my time? What are my hopes and dreams for the future? Moving to a retirement community is a big decision that many older adults hesitate to make because they don’t want to give up the freedom they have living at home. However, after making the move to senior living, they soon realize they’re more free to do the things they want — without the burden of maintaining a home.
Some people mistakenly believe that retirement communities are only for those who are advanced in age or have problems with their health or mobility. This may have been true in the past, but today’s independent senior living communities are attractive to young and healthy seniors who want to live life to the fullest. Life Plan Communities like Freedom Village at Brandywine are designed for active older adults who aren’t slowing down anytime soon.
When to Move into Senior Living
The right age to move into a Life Plan Community is different for everyone, but there’s a growing trend among people in their 60s and 70s who are seizing the opportunity to secure the retirement future they want. Moving when you’re active and healthy allows you to take full advantage of everything the community has to offer,with the added security of a full continuum of care on one campus.
The best time to move is when you’re ready to enjoy all the perks of independent living in a community setting, regardless of your age. Here are 6 reasons to move to a retirement community sooner rather than later, while you’re still healthy:
- 1. Enjoy resort-style amenities. Senior living communities offer a wide range of amenities and activities right outside your door. It’s easy to stay active and engaged when you have access to a fitness center, exceptional dining, social Happy Hours, beautifully landscaped grounds, and leisure activities like yoga and bocce ball. The sooner you move, the longer you’ll be able to take full advantage of all the perks of senior living. Now’s the time to enjoy what you’ve earned!
- 2. Free yourself from home maintenance. Just because you’re able to keep up with the chores and costs of home maintenance doesn’t mean it’s the best use of your time or money. There’s so much more you can do in retirement when you leave behind the chores of home maintenance. Plus, with a lock-and-leave lifestyle, you can rest assured that your home will be safe and secure whenever you’re away traveling.
- 3. Build lasting social connections. Moving to a senior living community when you’re younger means you’ll have more opportunities to build lasting relationships with neighbors who may become close friends over the years. When you’re part of the social fabric of a community like Freedom Village at Brandywine, forming friendships with those who share your interests can provide a sense of belonging and improve your quality of life.
- 4. Maintain your independence. You’ll discover a multitude of ways to stay physically active, mentally sharp, and socially engaged when you’re part of a senior living community — and staying actively engaged is key to maintaining your independence as you age. A community provides the support you need if challenges related to your health or mobility do emerge, but only if and when you need that support.
- 5. Protect yourself from rising costs of senior care. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, someone turning 65 today has approximately a 70% chance of needing some type of long-term senior care in their lifetime. Even if you’re healthy now, having convenient access to affordable health care can put your mind at ease. When you choose a Life Plan Community with Life Care, you’re guaranteed access to higher levels of care for your lifetime. Freedom Village at Brandywine offers award-winning health services including personal care, memory care, skilled nursing and rehabilitation services. And if your spouse needs a higher level of care, you can remain on the same campus without relocating.
- 6. Move on your own terms. Take control of your future now instead of waiting until something happens that forces you to move. You have the power to choose where, when and how you plan to move, as well as how you want to spend your retirement years. Taking a proactive approach means you won’t have to rely on someone else to help you find health care housing in a crisis.
Start Planning Your Future Today
Don’t wait to start this new chapter of your life! We’ve designed our senior living community around the things that mean the most to you — freedom, independence, and ability to live the carefree, maintenance-free lifestyle you want. At Freedom Village at Brandywine, you can spend your days doing exactly what you want to do, and you’ll find lots of services and amenities, as well as fun, engaging activities, to help you live your very best life. Contact us to learn more about our independent living options and schedule a personal tour.